Friday, March 10, 2017

The beauty of Lake O'Hara



Lake O'Hara in Yoho National Park, so beautiful, magical and a delightful place to visit in the Canadian Rockies, one of my all time favourite places to hike and photograph. Getting into the area is not so easy, especially nowadays when the bus that takes visitors in is booked months in advance. When I made this photograph nearly 30 years ago, in 1988 it was not as difficult, especially after the Labour Day weekend in September, I just showed up with no reservation, paid my fee and hopped on the bus.

 On this particular trip it would have been my first trip in and as luck would have it, there was fresh snow, which I was unprepared for, there was about 10 centimetres as I recall, most of the trails were snowed in so I kept my hiking distant short, I only went to Lake Oesa.

While hiking along the water's edge of Lake O'hara, I was attracted by the half submerged rock at the edge of the lake, I adored the little tree growing out of the one side of the rock. I was also lucky that the lake was still and quiet so I used the upside down view of the distant mountains to bring the whole picture into a full circle within the frame so to speak. Some might find this interesting but when looking though my view camera, everything is upside down and backwards, but when I made this picture the mountains appeared right side up. The camera I used at the time was a Tachihara 4 x 5 wood field camera and for a lens I used my trusty and faithful Schneider 120mm lens.

No comments: